the history of the jenner trust
The Jenner Museum was founded in 1968 and first housed in James Phipps’ Cottage, Berkeley (pictured right).
The cottage was gifted to James Phipps by Jenner as a thank you for trialling the first ever cowpox vaccine in 1796.
Following a successful fund raising appeal to purchase The Chantry, the beautfiul Queen Anne Style Manor House that was Jenner's home from 1785 until his death in 1823, the collections were relocated in 1982 and transferred to the newly constituted Jenner Appeal.
The new museum opened in 1985 and The Jenner Appeal was later re-named the Jenner Trust in 2009.
The Jenner Trust decided to change the name of the museum to Dr Jenner's House & Garden in 2011 to better reflect the true historical significance of the building from which Jenner pioneered vaccination. Staff and trustees of The Jenner Trust operate Dr Jenner's House & Garden as an accredited historic house museum and heritage visitor attraction promoting Jenner's life, career and remarkable legacy.
Fundraising Appeal for Emergency Repairs
Fundraising Appeal Launched for Emergency Repairs at the...
Professor R A Shooter
A leading figure in the story of the last days of smallpox dies...
Vaccination Milestone: India is Polio Free
World Health Organisation Declares India Free of Polio
Archaeology in Dr Jenner's Garden!
Read a fantastic new article about the annual dig